What is Pakistan Super League?
In September 2015, the Pakistan Cricket Board officially proclaimed the launch of the Pakistan Super League. The PSL’s official logo was launch on 20 September 2015 in a ceremony in Lahore. The PSL’s initial title sponsorship was given to Habib Bank Limited for three years in December 2015. Wasim Akram and Rameez Raja became the Brand Ambassadors of the league for three years in order to promote PSL.
Pakistan Super League is a professional franchise T20 men’s Cricket League. The headquarter of this league is in Lahore. It is operated by the Pakistan Cricket Board and it was established in 2016.
Instead of functioning as an association of independently possessed teams, the league is a single entity in which each franchise is owned and controlled by investors. The making of PSL is a huge step towards the promotion of Pakistani players and their talent worldwide.
Division of Teams and their Owners
There are total five teams and these teams are representing five major cities.The details of these teams, their owners and their prices are given as follows:
- Peshawar Zalmi representing Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. It was owned by Haier Group Pakistan, (Javed Afridi CEO). It was acquired in US$16 Million (Ten Year Agreement).
- Quetta Gladiators representing Quetta, Balochistan. It was owned by Omar Associates (Nadeem Omar, Director) and was acquired in US$11 Million (Ten Year Agreement).
- Islamabad United representing Islamabad, Capital territory.It was owner by Leonine Global Sports(Ali Naqvi & Amna Naqvi) and was acquired in US$15 Million (Ten Year Agreement)
- Karachi Kings representing Karachi,Sindh. It was owned by ARY Media Group ( Salman Iqbal CEO) and was acquired in US$26 Million (Ten Year Agreement).
- Lahore Qalandars representing Lahore,Punjab. It was owned by Qatar Lubricants Company Limited (Fawad Rana, MD) and was acquired in US$25 Million (Ten Year Agreement).
It is a long term partnership.
Flashback of Pakistan Super League 1
The first season of the PSL was played in a double round robin format. Every team played a part with each other twice and the top four advanced to the further sports competition. The league follows the rules and regulations stated by the International Cricket Council.
This season was well appreciated by the masses.
Champions of Pakistan Super League Season 1
Islamabad United were crowned champions of the inaugural PSL season defeating Quetta Gladiators in the final on 23 February 2016. The match was worth watching.
Pakistan Super League Season 2
Pakistan Super League is soon going to start and all the Cricket lovers desperately want to see this amazing upcoming event. It will begin from February 9, 2017 in Dubai. 300 players from 11 countries are going to participate in this mega cricket event.
With the initiation of Pakistan Super League, fans will surely be provided with some exciting cricket and good entertainment that could balance their melancholy.
Keeping our fingers cross we all are hoping that the upcoming event of PSL will start with full enthusiasm as well as the spirit of sportsmanship will be seen evidently. PSL is giving a chance to the domestic cricketers to play with the International Cricketers.